Mural in children migrant detention center:
“The odd thing about demonic inspiration and impetus is that it in no way enhances the purely intellectual stature: it chiefly affects the mere will.”
The Bible is extremely clear about damage done to children. It’s a theme that traverses both the Jewish and Christian texts. Crimes against children are of such a nature that damnation is practically guaranteed (Matt. 18:6).
Yet we hold these children as hostages. We intend to continue. Our erstwhile leaders cherry-pick scripture, (Romans 13), to defend themselves against the condemnation that naturally follows. It’s a penetrable shield. Evil is as evil does.
We’ve moved well beyond normal political discourse, as much evil as could be found there. We are now on a trajectory toward the purely Satanic.
That is why all improvers of our situation who merely concentrate on health are so petit-bourgeois and odd, the raw fruit and vegetable brigade, the passionate herbivores, or even those who practice special breathing techniques. All this is a mockery compared with solid misery, compared with diseases which are produced not by weak flesh but by powerful hunger, not by faulty breathing but by dust, smoke, and lead. Of course there are people who breathe correctly, who combine a pleasant self-assurance with well-ventilated lungs and an upright torso which is flexible to a ripe old age. But it remains a prerequisite that these people have money; which is more beneficial for a stooped posture than the art of breathing.
— Ernst Bloch, The Principle of Hope
(From Jacobin, №28 / Winter 2018)
A few covers that are, arguably, as good if not better that the originals:
1) Except for this one. The original is better:
2) Charlotte Gainsbourg. This not the best, nor my favorite version of the song. However I rather like Charlotte Gainsbourg whispering in my ear. Any excuse will do.
3) You do know that I met Blue Oyster Cult once. Long story. This is not them.
4) In a contest between Donovan and the Butthole Surfers, the Buttholes have an edge:
5) Laibach: Kind of their opus –
6) Sweet Jane has the Moody Blues for lunch:
7) Dictators covering the Stooges, which sounds almost exactly like The Stooges covering the Dictators:
8) Sufjan Stevens covering Joni Mitchell, which sounds almost nothing like Joni Mitchell.
9) Carpenters again, covered, I guess, by Jim Henson:
10) The Best Cover of All Time.